God's Plan In the Church:
CHRISTIANS NURTURING CHRISTIANS
by David Chadwell
The backgrounds presented in lesson one and two are critical to understanding this
lesson. Remember the rejection many Christians experienced. Remember the public
contempt for Christians that commonly existed for Christians. With those
understandings, in context, focus on the message of the following scriptures.
1. Read Romans 1:16,17.
- Of what was Paul not ashamed?
- Specifically what is the gospel (good news)?
- In your understanding, why would Paul stress that he was not ashamed?
2. Read 1 Corinthians 1:18-30.
- What is foolishness to those who perish (verse 18)?
- What is the relationship between human wisdom and the discovery of God (verses 20, 21)?
- God was pleased to save believers through what (verse 21)?
- What do the Jews ask for? The Greeks seek? (verse 22)
- The crucified Christ is what to the Jews? The Gentiles? (verse 23)
- What is the crucified Christ to all who are called (verse 24)?
- What is said about God's foolishness and weakness (verse 25)?
- Few of whom are called to be Christians (verse 26)?
- What has God done to shame the wise? shame the strong? nullify present realities? (verses 27,28)
- Why does God function in this way (verse 29)?
- By God's doing we are in Christ; God made Christ to become what to us (verse 30,31)?
3. Read 1 Peter 3:13-18.
- What was Peter's basic conviction (verse 13)?
- Peter acknowledged exceptions existed. If a Christian suffered for being righteous, how should he act? Why? (verse 14)
- When a Christian suffered unjustly, what should he do (verse 15)?
- As he suffered, what should he keep? Who would be put to shame? (verse 16)
- What is the better thing (verse 17)?
- Why (verse 18)?
4. Read 1 Peter 4:12-16.
- How should Christians react to the fiery ordeal that was coming (verse 12)?
- To what degree should they rejoice (verse 13)?
- What could happen to them because of the name (verse 14)?
- They should not suffer as what (verse 15)?
- They should feel no shame in suffering as what (verse 16)?
In the context of their time, do these passages acquire a new meaning to you?
Christians Nurturing Christians Study Guide (lesson 3)
Wednesday evening Bible class, Summer Quarter 1999
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Copyright © 1999
Permission is granted to freely copy and distribute with text unchanged, including author's name.
Link to other Writings of David Chadwell
West-Ark Church of Christ