A DEVOTIONAL ON WISDOM
Please turn to Daniel 2.
- King Nebuchadnezzer had a dream that he could not get off of his mind.
- He called together the men of wisdom and informed them that he demanded that
they interpret his dream.
- The king: "I had this dream, and it gives me a major anxiety attack."
- The men of wisdom: "Tell us the dream, and we will interpret it."
- The king: "No, you will tell me both the dream and the interpretation. If you
don't, I will execute you and totally destroy your homes. If you do, I will reward
you with great wealth."
- The men of wisdom: "With all respect, you are making an impossible request.
We cannot tell you both. Tell us the dream and we will give you the
- The king: "You are just stalling. You are already in a conspiracy to deceive
me. You all have already agreed what the interpretation will be."
- The men of wisdom: "No one can do what you ask. Only a god could tell you
both, and gods do not live among humans."
- Nebuchadnezzer became furious and ordered that all the men of wisdom in the
kingdom be arrested and executed.
- An officer came to arrest Daniel.
- Daniel asked for an explanation, and the officer told Daniel what had
- Daniel said, "Go tell that king that I will interpret his dream."
- As the officer went to inform the king, Daniel went to Hananiah, Mishael, and
Azariah (or Shaddrack, Meshack, and Abednigo) to ask them to pray with him.
- They asked God to save their lives and the lives of the other men of wisdom.
- God responded to their prayers by revealing the dream and interpretation to
- Listen to Daniel's words to God (Daniel 2:20-23).
Daniel answered and said: "Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, For wisdom and might are His. And He changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings; He gives wisdom to the wise And knowledge to those who have understanding. He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in the darkness, And light dwells with Him. I thank You and praise You, O God of my fathers; You have given me wisdom and might, And have now made known to me what we asked of You, For You have made known to us the king's demand."
- Daniel was taken to the king.
- The king: "Can you interpret my dream?"
- Daniel: "Not even the men of wisdom can reveal the mystery as you request, but
God in heaven can."
- Listen carefully to what Daniel says in Daniel 2:30: "As for me, this mystery has
not been revealed to me for any wisdom residing in me more than in any
other living man, but for the purpose of making the interpretation known to
the king, that you may understand the thoughts of your mind."
- Then Daniel revealed the dream and its interpretation to the king.
- May Daniel remind us of these things:
- Wisdom resides in God, not in us.
- Let's seek God's wisdom.
- When God reveals His wisdom to us, it is not to advance ourselves, but to
advance his purposes.
- May we never forget, we are just people.
West-Ark Church of Christ, Fort Smith, AR
Evening Devotional, 2 November 1997
Link to next sermon
Link to other Writings of David Chadwell